How To Know When You NEED a Paralegal For The Landlord & Tenant Board

January 17th, 2011 · 4 Comments · Landlord & Tenant Board

Here’s a story in the Ottawa Citizen about a New Landlord who got smacked by the Landlord & Tenant Board First of all you don’t need a lawyer for the Landlord & Tenant Board you need a paralegal like Jeff Shabes here in Toronto to go there.

Why Not A Lawyer?

Lawyers tend to specialize and you don’t go to see the same lawyer for your divorce that you see for your real estate transaction. Because paralegals are cheaper they are the ones that have been used for years by building to do most of the work at the Landlord & Tenant Board. There are very few (if any) lawyers that specialize in Landlord & Tenant Board work and those that do send paralegals. Lawyers are generally used for landlord issues that go to the higher courts but for straightforward evictions, paralegals are the go to people with years of experience in the field.

When Do You Need A Paralegal?

  1. When you are also a witness.
  2. Anything other than a straightforward non payment of rent eviction
  3. If your tenant is implying that they have been to the Landlord & Tenant Board before or worse is threatening you.
  4. Non-Payment of Rent too if you’ve never been to the Landlord &  Tenant Board
  5. If you tend to get emotional, crying, angry or anything but calm and concise when under pressure.
  6. If you don’t want to learn about Landlord & Tenant Law and are not good at filling out detailed forms properly

Now some landlords are fine but they know who they are. If you’re asking the question it’s not you! Avoid this landlord pitfall you’ll be glad you hired a professional.

Tags: ·

Get Your Free Landlord Documents Now! 

4 Comments so far ↓